The King’s Guard
The King’s Guards were an elite group of soldiers who were stationed at the royal palace in to guard the kings of Hawaii in the 1800’s.
Yes – Hawaii was once ruled by a king!
The Guards faithfully fulfilled their duties until the Hawaiian monarchy ended, at which time they were decommissioned. In 1972, the King’s Guard was reorganized. Members of a championship drill team were recruited to create a special attraction which would revive and preserve the history of the Hawaiian of the 1800’s
The Changing of the Guard ceremony was then launched, featuring a flag lowering ceremony followed by a drill exhibition performance.
Today this ceremony is the longest running daily event in Waikiki. Camera-toting visitors from around the world are drawn to King’s Village at 6:15 p.m. to witness the snap and precision of the Guards.
Hawaii is the only state with a royal palace.
“First time visitors are often shocked to witness a group of men with rifles and are relieved to find out that the rifles are used only for precision drill. “